Friday, November 2, 2012

T is for Thanksgiving! (Day 2)

We don't usually do homeschool on Friday's when Justin is off. But today was about "family" and since all the family was together, we went ahead with the lesson.

Daily Thankful Theme: Thank you, God, for my family
Scripture: Deuteronomy 6:1-9
Memory: "In everything, give thanks" (1 Thess. 5:18)
Prayer: "Thank you, God, for giving me Daddy, Mommy, and Sister"
Song: "If You're Thankful and You Know It" and "Give Thanks, with a Grateful Heart"
Craft: Stamping "T's"
Thankful Activity: add "Family" leaf to Thankfulness Tree

Evan prayed, "Open our eyes that we may see the truth in your word" to get us started. I then read aloud the passage in Deuteronomy.  The reason I chose this passage was to show why God gave us families. We as parents have a high calling to raise our children in awareness and knowledge of God and His word. And that is the truth I wanted Evan to walk away with; we (his Daddy and Mama) are God's gift to Evan to teach him Truth.

Since Daddy was here, Evan showed off his "singing" abilities with a rousing rendition of "If You're Thankful and You Know It" and "The B-I-B-L-E". I don't think he has a future as a singer...yet.

Then, we transitioned into more prayer time. We prayed aloud for each member of the family, as well as gave thanks for our family.


Supplies: Our supplies today were a piece of construction paper, a stamp pad in a color that could be seen on the paper, the letter "T" stamp, a leaf out of construction paper, and tape to attach it to our Thankfulness Tree.

I showed Evan how to use the stamp and let him decorate his paper as he desired. Because the stamping did not take too much concentration, I used this time to review the lesson from today. 


I also asked him repeatedly what letter he was stamping, and what did it stand for? (T is for Thanksgiving). Then we did the verse a few times, complete with motions (which I explain on Day 1). 

While Evan stamped away, I thought it would be cute if I spelled out "family" with stamps on today's leaf.


Isn't that cute? Make a note, however, that if your two-year-old sees you using other stamps, he thinks he should also be allowed to use other stamps. Clearly, I learned the hard way (a small meltdown ensued).

As the last part of our day, we taped our leaf to our Thankfulness Tree.


I pointed to yesterday's leaf and reminded Evan that we are thankful that God sent His Son, Jesus Christ. Then we reviewed today's theme one last time. Repetition. Repetition. Repetition! Sometimes I drive myself crazy, but it works!

What songs/phrases/books do you repeat (and repeat, and repeat) with your kids?


No comments:

Post a Comment