Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Lifestyle Changes Part 2: Bible Study

Yesterday I wrote about Lifestyle Changes Part 1: Exercise. Today I want to share my other life change, the one that is infinitely more valuable and important. Bible study. As a Christian, I know I have no better way to spend my time than by reading the Bible and praying. I have studied my Bible since I was a teen- inconsistently. Thanks to the conviction of the Holy Spirit, examples of godly women, and many books and blogs I became convinced that I must make a consistent time to study the Word. 

2 Timothy 2:15
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.


I have found that doing Bible Study in the morning is the best way for me to study. Before I was certain of this, I often planned to study during the kids’ naps or just before bed, when I was (supposedly) more alert. No one would ever mistake me for a morning person! But let me tell you, giving God the first and best time of my day means studying in the morning. And since many of us work, are wives, or are mothers (or a combination of any of the three) this often requires us to study before our household wakes up, or risk not spending time with God at all!
And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he [Jesus] departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed. Mark 1:35

Instead of getting up to our families we should get up for our families**. This means waking before the house stirs and spending quality time with God through studying His word. I cannot describe how delightful my days are now that I get up before my kids and spend time in study and prayer. My previous routine was to sleep until I heard my kids wake, and then groggily stumble to get them. I was still half-asleep and often my temper would flare at the smallest and silliest of things. I would try to quickly throw together some sort of breakfast (usually less than healthy) just to get them quiet, and then I would sit and get on Facebook to “wake up”.  Instead of kindly parenting and loving my kids, I would handle situations badly for a few hours until I was more alert (and my coffee had kicked in). But this was my old life. 

Now, by the grace of God, I get up before my kids do. I prayed, and then chose to obey the desire, to get up before them; and I am now alert after a few minutes, even though I am getting up early (remember- I am “not a morning person”). Now, when I've finished my Bible study, I can take the time to make my kids a hearty breakfast; when I hear them stirring, I eagerly go to them with a genuine smile on my face. I know that my glad smile and warm greeting set the tone for our day. My joy is focused in the Lord, and my day often unfolds more peacefully. I can now attest to my desire to get up and study the word; when my alarm goes off I am even eager to get downstairs, make my coffee, and study my Bible!

As I mentioned, many books and blogs encouraged me towards a consistent time to study my Bible. I want to mention just a couple right now (and maybe in a later post I can talk about more influences). I am not being paid to mention any of these books or websites. I simply wish to pass on the things that helped me in hopes that they may inspire you as well.
Large Family Logistics: The Art and Science of Managing the Large Family  -     
        By: Kim Brenneman

Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman. Don't be fooled by the "Large Family" part of the title, my own little family is only a Daddy, Mommy, 2 1/2 years old boy, and 14 months old girl. There are several chapters that mention the importance of having a daily Bible study time and include tips on how to manage it with a busy household/life. 

A Woman After God's Own Heart, Updated and Expanded Edition  -     
        By: Elizabeth George

A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. Do not read this book if you do not want to change your life. If you are content with so-so Christianity and little personal growth, this book is not for you, haha! Chapter Two is especially helpful with personal Bible study, but the entire book continues to relate back to that time in the Word.


Inspired to Action and Hello Mornings blog by Kat. I could not do justice explaining Hello Mornings so I will just recommend that you click the link right now and check out this great group of women. In fact my double starred ** sentence in paragraph three came directly from Hello Mornings. I am not officially a part of Hello Mornings, but I have used so many tips, thoughts, and inspiration from this blog to for my own time in the morning.

I could not close this post without mentioning how I study the Bible. I use the method that Kay Arthur made popular, you can check out all of her stuff here. The reason this method is so effective is because I am studying the Bible for myself, instead of relying on the thoughts of others (i.e. commentaries, etc.) for the meat and potatoes of my time in the Bible. My prayer time is portioned out to the various things we all pray for: our nation, our families, needs of friends and the church, etc. But I try to spend at least half of the time praising God for who He is, and praying about my own spiritual growth. I ask you, what is the point of reading and studying the Bible if I am not striving for personal change?

This is a topic that I could go on and on about! I force myself to stop here as I've described the basics of my second life change. As with the doing exercise, I pray this is a life-long commitment. I have no plans to stop scheduling time for studying the Bible. 

What are some tips & tricks you have used to make time for personal Bible study? I would love to hear about what you are studying in the Bible right now? Comment below, or jump over to my Facebook page: A Wife And Mother (link in the sidebar) or follow me on Twitter @awifenmother.


1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for the work God is doing in you! It is such a joy to read your blogs and see your growth and testimony to Christ alive in you!

    ReplyDelete