Friday, March 8, 2013

Finding Colors

I've spent the last couple weeks describing my attempts to organize my life a little better. And I've added two wonderful (vital) habits to my life: morning Bible study and daily exercise. You can read about all of these things...

Morning Bible Study
Exercise
Home Management Binder Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Obviously, I need to dig in and use my HMB because yesterday I forgot my youngest had a Dr. appointment. Home Management Binder fail! Oops.

While I haven't yet settled on an official theme or direction I would like to go in "homeschooling" my son, I do try to play at least one intentional game during the day. Here's an example



(Sorry for the blurry images, when photographing kids it's inevitable)

You can see my daughter holding little balloon cut-outs in picture #1. I went through them like flashcards and had my 2 year old name the colors; then I helped my very-verbal 1 year old to repeat the color back to me. After a few rounds of that, I took the yellow, red, and blue balloons and laid them on the ground. I instructed my toddler to find toys that matched the colors and put them by the correct balloon, picture #2. I gave my daughter the rest of the balloons to hold.

(These colored balloons, by the way, were saved by my mom from when I was homeschooled in kindergarten! Let's just say they are nearly three decades old!)

This is why I call what I am doing with my son "loose homeschooling". At this age, play is a better educator than books/paper/forced memorization in the typical sense. Please don't misunderstand, there is certainly a place for reading, writing, and memorizing! I just mean that I can easily teach my 2 year old without him even knowing he is "learning" at this young age.

If you have begun homeschooling your child(ren) I am desperate for curriculum ideas! My son will be 3 years old by September, so either a 2's & 3's or 3's & 4's would work. Please help a mom out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment