Thursday, October 18, 2012

Creation, Day 3

When teaching about creation, Day 3, it is customary to spend time out of doors exploring the land, plants, and flowers that God created. Unless, you live in a city where it has been raining non-stop for several days. The land is not only wet, but very wet! I just did not feel like dealing with muddy floors today.

Scripture: Genesis 1: 9-13
Memory: "In the beginning, God created"
Song: "The B-I-B-L-E" and made up song "God Made the World"
Prayer: "Open our eyes, that we may see Your truth" and "Thank you God, for making the land, plants, and trees"
Craft: Thumbprint Fall Tree
Activity: Get the wiggles out any way possible
Number: 3 (Day 3)


I kept the scripture passage shorter today (not reading from verse 1 all the way through verse 13) because we spent more time in prayer. There is no joy like hearing your child repeat prayers after you! That goes for singing too; when they start singing along, it is one of the most darling things!

Today we are struggling with short tempers from too much pent-up energy, so while singing "God Made the World" we danced around the room. Maybe it's a boy thing, but Evan doesn't dance like I've seen little girls do at this age? If it's that way with your child, take them by the hands and prance around with them, or take turns being the line-leader and march, skip, hop, and wiggle. Don't worry, no one can see you, and your toddler will think you are the coolest mom ever!

My original intention was to take the kids for a wagon ride through the neighborhood today. We could look at trees, collect leaves, study acorns, and enjoy the land God created on Day 3. But, thanks to the rain, it is not prime outdoor weather. Solution: houseplants!



Rather pitiful, isn't it? These are the only two houseplants that have survived my black thumb (you can ask my mom about that one time I was in charge of watering her plants while she was gone for two weeks. I don't think there were any survivors). At least I was able to point to one and say "plant" and the other and say "flower" to show two examples of plant life. I didn't linger on the lame object lesson, I moved on to the craft.


Supplies: Markers or colored stamp pads. I had a piece of paper with a tree and branches drawn on it ready ahead of time. Your child's thumbs or leaf stamps.

I held the markers and colored Evan's thumb in between each stamp. This is a good opportunity to identify and practice colors. You could throw in a little science too; I started with green and said "leaves are green when they are fresh. As the trees prepare for winter they turn different colors and fall off". For a toddler that is as deep as it need be. Plus I couldn't remember much else from science class. I'll have to brush up for next year!

The nature walk was supposed to be our activity today. Fail. Since I am out of clever ideas, the remainder of the day is devoted to keeping the wiggles out of a toddler boy. I created a running game for him earlier that includes a leap off the bottom step of the staircase and a run down the hall. Anything, to spend some energy!


Another great indoor solution is a box! This box was the one I snagged at Aldis to carry my cans home. I gave it to the boy two days ago and it has provided many hours of entertainment! You can see it in the background of this picture from Creation: Day 2.

What are your favorite go-to activities to ward of the wiggles on a rainy day?

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful exercise! I am so excited for you to be doing this. In some crazy way it makes me sad that home school is over for me. I'll just have to focus on the grand kids!!

    ReplyDelete