Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Creation, Day 7


As I was researching and preparing for Day 7 of creation, I noticed that so many combine days 6 & 7. Now I understand why. Day 7: God Rested, is not an easy concept for young kids. Many of you suggested pretending to take a nap, putting stuffed toys and dolls to bed/rest, cutting out magazine pictures of resting/sleeping people, etc. These are all great ideas! However, I did not want to confuse Evan by saying God sleeps when we really mean rested. See the dilemma for a 2 year old? Instead of creating confusion, I decided to wait to emphasize "rested" until Evan's older and I explain it to him in more detail. Today, I focused more on the completed work of creation and that it was "very good".

Scripture: Genesis 2:1-3
Memory: "In the beginning, God created" & "God made the World"
Prayer: "Thank you God for making ___________" we inserted many things here from each day of creation
Song: see "activity" below
Craft: coloring page
Activity: Watched YouTube videos about creation
Number: 7


We counted the days on our fingers as we reviewed what God made on each day. Then I read aloud today's passage (can you believe that our young children have already "read" and studied an entire chapter of the Bible?!) I was so stumped about what to do for a craft or activity for Day 7, so Evan and I watched a few music videos on YouTube- thanks to my new [to me] tablet. Our favorite was the Go Fish one below:





I was intentional with YouTube and the songs we selected. They had to be a song praising God for His work in creation, describe His work in creation, or show pictures of His creation ("God of Wonders" is another excellent one). Evan was enthralled, and as the pictures of mountains, fields, oceans, animals, etc. went by I asked him to identify them. And this mama loved cuddling with my too-active-and-too-old-to-cuddle toddler while we watched the music videos.

Supplies: We've been given a few color books throughout the year and one of them had a picture of Adam and Eve in the garden and the words "On the seventh day, God rested". Perfect. I tore it out and gave Evan markers (he loves markers).


You could easily do a Google search for other coloring pages free to print if you do not already have one on hand. I did a quick search just now and the first one I clicked to is here, as an example.


And Evan colored away.

Tomorrow, we will begin our new theme! Can you guess what it might be?

2 comments:

  1. Yay new tablet!
    The look on his face says, where is grandma?
    (Wishful thinking...)

    ReplyDelete